Thursday, March 9, 2017

Very warm

As I went to get the newspaper, I saw a yellow bellied sapsucker hopping around the pecan tree.  A song  and a white throated sparrow came for breakfast.  Then I had to leave for an appointment.  The sky was hazy and the day breezy, so despite the sun and the warmth, it was not quite shirtsleeve weather.

Around noon, I saw a palamedes swallowtail, a spring azure, and of course cabbage whites. Honey and bumblebees were thinck around the rosemary.  A bufflehead and later a grebe, I think, were all I saw on the water, except boaters.  The two Carolina wrens seemed to be up to something - one stood guard atop the mealworm dish hanger while the other scurried all over.  Eventually one kicked the butterbutt off the suet.

Later the warbler managed to share suet with a downy woodpecker.  A titmouse replaced the butterbutt, which the woodpecker found objectionable.  The wind dried out the birdbath, so I added water which soon attracted a small flock of sparrows. 

After dark when I bricked the feeder, the moon looked round, though the full moon is not till Sunday. According to the newspaper, the high was 74°F, not a record. 


No comments:

Post a Comment