Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Cooler

The prediction was for a perfect June day.  I got up early again and was rewarded with a little green heron, fishing from the neighboring floating dock.  Another little green heron buzzed the first one and they both took off upstream.  One returned before I got tired of waiting, and conveniently, moved to my side of the dock where I could watch its technique.  When it sighted something in the water, it unfolded that long heron neck and pointed its beak well below its toes.  It looked a bit like a snake, or a dart. Then it dove at the morsel and actually splashed into the water.  I didn't know they were divers!

While I ate breakfast a squirrel ate the half a rotting tangerine we'd put out for fruit-loving birds. When we got back from an appointment, I caught a flash of blue as a male bluebird zoomed away from the nest box.  The white trumpet (Easter) lilies were blooming out front. 

Dragonflies were thick while only a few small brown butterflies were out.  The perchers all seemed to be blue dashers or great blue skimmers.  12 spotted skimmers zipped around above the roof level.  A black wasp visited the parsley. 

The blue jay won more times than I did, but I got a few good photos of the bark butter ball gobbler. I saw a hummer seeming to hunt around the red cedar as though looking for flowers.  I saw this last summer, but still don't know if the bird is attracted by the smell or if it's hunting bugs for the babies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment