Thursday, June 7, 2018

Up early again

This time I saw a juvenile night heron. It was in the grass at first, but something (me?) disturbed it so it flew to a dock post.  A cardinal tried to get the seed feeder to open, then settled for a bark butter ball.  At breakfast hummers and a blue jay came to eat.

On our return from the doctor, well after 11am, in the driveway was a black rat snake!  It's head was raised about an inch and the rest of it was crimped into zigzags by fear.  K carefully drove past and we proceeded to unload me while keeping an eye on the snake.  It did not wait till I could get the camera, alas, but poured itself into the grass heading toward the neighbors' magnolia.  At least that was away from the bluebird box.  Nor was the snake bulgy with a fresh dinner.  Some bird I didn't see kept whistling. 

In the back yard, dragonflies were enjoying the sunshine and gnats. A cardinal went after something in the sakaki.  I think I saw skinny little legs sticking out of his beak.  Two hummers argued over the feeder. 

After lunch I decided to sit outside in front. The same dragonflies were around but they had a harder time perching.  I need to give them some bamboo stakes.  Wasps were investigating potential nest sites.  A couple of dead mulch roaches gave us pause.  Eventually,a blue tailed skink ventured along the wall, but I had put the camera aside.  Then the bluebirds came home.

The breeze began to feel chilly so I tottered back in and watched the feeders. Those cardinals were still courting.  Hummers stocked up for the night.  And the a Carolina wren showed up, with the light too poor for a photo.  Fireflies were already blinking.  Then bedtime was full of alarms and excursions and bug spray when I saw another mulch roach on the ceiling.  Yes, they can fly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment