Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Hot, but breezy

 The creek was placid in the early light. A crane fly clung to the window.  An egret waited below the dam.  Great blue skimmers and blue dashers occupied the available perches.  I saw, and missed, a skink. I think there may have been a butterfly as I was getting my foot re-wrapped. Gnats and other small fliers were entrapped by webs below the parsley flower heads.  I think they were what the dragonflies were hunting. 

I actually got sweaty outside at last.  Some sort of raptor screeched as it flew over, but all I got was a blur.  A yellow crowned night heron flew low overhead and all I did was gape at it.  I did, however get sharp pictures of swallows.  They chattered as they scooped up the high fliers.  The dragonflies that flew at tree height appeared to be saddlebags and 12 spots.  The sky above them was frothy with thin ice clouds. 

The blue jays tried to sneak up on the bark butter balls without alerting me, but I caught some of the action.  We put out half an orange to see if any of the birds wanted it.  I think a crow did, but I was too close.


No comments:

Post a Comment