Friday, October 12, 2018

After the storm

The temperature and the humidity plunged. Small dead limbs came down but nothing really big.  We got about 3/4" of rain.  As I ate breakfast, a Cooper's hawk landed on the railing, which was in the sun.  Its yellow eye seemed to be on me but I reach for the camera anyway, and off it flew.  Later as I cleared debris from the water, I could hear the crows fussing. 

In the afternoon, the tide ran very high between the wind and the new moon.  A lone dove visited the mulch under the feeder. A bold jumping spider peered at me from the hibiscus.  A red spotted purple fluttered around before deciding to egg the cherry. I got tired of scooping leaves from above.  The water was about as warm as before the storm and the sun was hot, though the wind was quite chilly.  I rescued a honeybee with loaded saddlebags of pollen.  That and a few ground beetles were all I found in the water. 

A great blue heron perched on a fallen tree trunk in the lake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment