Saturday, October 6, 2018

Up early

Returning from an early appointment, I saw a Cooper's hawk go after a crow that had been harassing it.  There was no blood, just a lot of squawking.  I had gotten up before dawn to get to the appointment and noticed there was a little rain overnight  But when I left, the clouds had shifted away from the Eastern horizon so I had to drive into the sun. At lunch time a little sulphur butterfly found the portulaca and also tested the scarlet climber. 

When I went outside mid afternoon, a very determined brown tiger swallowtail caterpillar was trundling along the pool walkway.  Eventually it fell into the water but I was there to rescue it.  I watched till it finally left the concrete for the dirt under the trees.  I wonder if it was looking for a place to make its chrysalis?  One of the monarch caterpillars seems to have gone, perhaps with the same purpose.The other was still munching, as was a big black swallowtail caterpillar.  I also found a small second instar caterpillar on the rue.  The Argiope by the patio has not relocated.  I just glimpsed a red spotted purple. 

I very carefully rescued two bald faced hornets that fell into the deep end.  They did not linger for a portrait, alas.  I also fished out a small grasshopper that K was kind enough to photograph.  I also saved a spider and an assassin bug nymph and many beetles.  The assassin was determined to hand out on the tub where we dump the pool skimmer.  It marched over the spider's body to get there and the spider just sat.  And yes the spider was alive.  A couple of mockingbirds chased across the yard yelling at each other. I heard and glimpsed a kingfisher streaking upstream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment