Thursday, October 4, 2018

Lost in Chesapeake

The new subdivisions in the Southern reaches of the city did me in.  I did see a tiger swallowtail and a mockingbird as I wandered.

I finally got home and into the water around 4pm where I rescued an assassin bug nymph. The milkweed bug nymphs have rushed through at least three instars already.  Their parents were still hanging around.  Two monarch caterpillars were visible - where had they been hiding? 

The spider in the spartina checked out as another Argiope.  And I think there were two egg sacks in the saltbush.  Both seem to be doing well and the one by the patio had a prey bundle  On the lake, every inch of dead log held a cormorant.  The tide was high on the creek despite the moon phase.  It pushed the periwinkles up the spartina into visibility.  At sunset, the clouds that had looked so massive disappeared, leaving only haze.  For a few minutes the sky was suffused with rose, but it faded by 7pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment