Monday, October 29, 2018

Butterflies

The day started out pretty nippy but warmed up nicely in the bright sunshine. I saw a stinkbug on the window and unfortunately let it get away since it was one of the brown marmorated invasive stinkers.

A very tattered red spotted purple butterfly clung to leaves to ride out wind gusts.  (The wind felt warm to me at first, but that didn't last.)  It was still around when I got back around 4pm.  Meanwhile, an American Snout butterfly soaked up sun in the red cedar.  And when I wandered over to take a picture of the milkweed by the fence, a question mark butterfly on the nandina with the sun coming through its wing like stained glass.  I also caught a glimpse of a monarch on the next street over where a front yard is a jungle with tropical milkweed making round pods. 

A pale yellow warbler with faint streaks hopped around in the cherry and found something that it tugged off twigs which puzzled me as the wild cherries long since withered.  I also saw a yellow rumped warbler over at the Lynnhaven House.


No comments:

Post a Comment