Monday, October 1, 2018

Sunny

Yesterday was lovely, I'm told.  I spent it inside, away from home, alas.  When I got back, there was just enough light to check on the spider.

Fog was predicted for this first morning in October, but I saw no sign of it.  There was a heavy, drippy dew.  A hummer hovered all around the feeder but didn't seem to partake.  And K just hung a fresh one Saturday.  The first camellia opened.  The hackberry was loaded with ripening berries. 

A black swallowtail went crazy for the scarlet climber flowers.  I also saw a red spotted purple, a monarch, and an orange butterfly that was not a monarch.  A female bar winged skimmer kept watch over the pool. 

A turtle, a heron, and a pair of mallards shared a log on the lake.  The tide was up in the grass again.  It has run high all Fall.  Blue jays called a lot but mostly stayed out of sight.  I heard bird calls I didn't recognize as well.  A seed germinated in the ant moat. 

I rescued a pigeon tremex horntail that must have fallen out of the oak or been dislodged by one of the acorn eaters.  It was still staggering around the patio when I went indoors.  nd if that was not enough excitement, I saw a black threadwaisted wasp with a big green caterpillar it had captured.  They disappeared while I was circling around for a different angle, so the wasp must have flown off with the caterpillar twice its size. 


No comments:

Post a Comment