Sunday, October 28, 2018

Caterpillar lecture

It was a nice Fall day with fluffy clouds blowing East and seasonable temperatures.  The shaded creek glittered sunlit reflections in the early morning.  There weren't any clouds till later.  At noon the tide was quite high despite the wind direction.  According to Mary Reid Barrow, this is going to be an irruptive year for red-breasted nuthatches.  The redwood made plenty of cones so we're ready. 

In the afternoon I went to a lecture on caterpillars by David Wagner and bought his Caterpillars of Eastern North America which is far to heavy for a field guide.  He had some fascinating videos and anecdotes.  The program was hosted by the Butterfly Society of Virginia.  However, I don't think I will join. 

When I got home, I went outside but the wind was already getting chilly.  I heard first a heron, then a kingfisher but didn't see either.  There were patches of color on trees besides the dogwoods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment