Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Knitting Mill Creek

It was chilly when I left for the breakfast meeting but plenty warm afterwards when we walked down to see the restored wetland.  And it was humid and buggy.  The mosquitoes were so big I thought the first one I saw was a spider.  I could see the stripes on its legs and its green head.There were lots of flowers in bloom. Then I stopped at a garden shop to look for wild flowers.  I bought two plants and a friend gave me a third at the meeting.  By then I was dripping with sweat and very tired.  So I didn't accomplish much for the rest of the day. 

The azaleas in back were finished blooming and so were the dogwoods but the blue and yellow flag irises were beginning.  I spent some time photographing a venusta orchard spider beside the steps. 

I found three young caterpillars on the rue leaves.  Wasps fed on the rue flowers. The hibiscus sawflies crawled on the violet leaves, waiting for the hibiscus to emerge from the ground.  A brown stinkbug ascended a rose cane. 

I must have been very quiet because a downy woodpecker landed on the suet beside me.  But as soon as I moved, he fled. 


No comments:

Post a Comment