Friday, April 12, 2019

Windy

Egrets competed for prime fishing spots.  Blue jays were less cautious than usual.  The male cardinal was missing feathers from his forehead.  I spotted one white throated sparrow. I hoped the South wind would blow us some migrating birds, but I didn't see any.  It certainly brought plenty of heat.

I saw flower buds on the rue.  The Solomon's seal shot out of the ground about eight inches - there was nothing there on Tuesday.  The azaleas rushed to open but the wind stripped off the cherry blossoms.  I wonder if they were fertilized first.  Dogwood flowers held on tighter and the one with peculiar buds still had a few not fully open.  One hickory leafed out but the other was just beginning to open its buds.  Sycamore balls and pollen-shedding oak tassels were blown sideways.

A skink scuttled out from under the pool cover and into the shrubbery.  I saw a black swallowtail flitting around the rue and I think a tiger swallowtail further off.  But the wind might have fooled me with a leaf.  Yellow kneed wasps struggled to fly, and were disappointed by the new bench seat of treated wood.  Queen yellow jackets scouted possible residences.  I found a bird skull in the mulch under the dogwood.  My best guess is a crow.  Even between the clouds flying North, the moon was hard to see through the haze.


No comments:

Post a Comment