Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Cooler

The creek had the placid, reflective look of Fall.  A gray hairstreak explored a rose, interrupted by bees and wasps.  The three Argiope spiders had not relocated.  

I rescued four skinks, all bluetails.  One was in the skimmer, sitting on the handle.  The other three were all in the deep water trying to climb the pool wall.  They were so tired I just lifted them out and they lay on the concrete with their sides heaving.  

The hornworm moved to a new plant.  It looked close to pupating.  I found a minuscule jumping spider on a railing and a web under one of the asters.  A tiny orange moth was attracted to the mountain mint.  It reminded me of a Southern purple mint moth and I bet it was a cousin, Pyrausta rubricalis.  The monarch caterpillar was definitely bigger, having consumed an entire milkweed pod.  Bees and wasps seemed unaware of the waiting Argiope, but I didn't see any get caught.  

Three soaring birds were very high up.  They were pale and I wonder if they were Mississippi kites.


No comments:

Post a Comment