Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Windy

The remnants of Hurricane Ida brought more wind than rain, though there was a brief shower in the early afternoon. The palamedes swallowtail frustrated me again.  I caught a couple of small bees pollinating the purslane.  And I found one of the caterpillars I moved to the butterfly milkweed.  It had grown and was apparently feeding on the milkweed pods.  An amberwing flitted off from a perch in the mountain mint.  Some sort of skipper, or other small butterfl7ylooked for flowers around the birdbath, then flew off unsatisfied. 

The green bee also refused to pose.  A very tattered female great blue skimmer used the perch outside my window, and next to the new Argiope web.  A bad neighborhood for insect prey.  And speaking of predators, the mantis was still hiding in the lavender.  A black swallowtail egged the rue where I could see a half dozen caterpillars at various stages of development.  I saw a hummer feed so the rain must not have gotten into the sugar water.  The bracket fungus was round and glossy.  Unfortunately, the yard workers cut off all my parsley before I finished harvesting seeds.  Rain did come well after sunset.  


No comments:

Post a Comment