Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Mother spider

Skinks popped up frequently.  A lovely cloudless sulphur was too fast for me but a black swallowtail took her time laying eggs on the rue.  I caught a glimpse of an orange bodied dragonfly.  The web under the hibiscus was still empty.  The spider in the mountain mint waited motionless behind its trap.  But the spider that moved into the nook between windows had been busy - a brown sac of eggs was suspended below the overhang.  

A very fuzzy large blond bee worked on the mountain mint.  I wondered if it was a drone.It was furred like a bumblebee but the size of a carpenter bee.  The great black wasps continued to feed on the mountain mint after the sun sank behind the trees.  The other wasps and bees mostly depart with the sun.  The spider mites enshrouded parts of the mountain mint because I quit trying to control them when the Argiope moved in. 

When I went to empty the skimmer, I could see a tail hanging down so I gently tugged on it and down plopped a skink.  I laid it in the sun to dry and warm and eventually it revived.  Not so the two I found floating in the deep water.  Lots of birds flitted among the trees but I wasn't able to guess their identities.  Chickades and titmice came to the feeders even though I was close.  Small clouds streamed in from the West.  


No comments:

Post a Comment