Sunday, September 12, 2021

Squirrel parenting

The wren pair shared suet at breakfast.  They were still untidy from molting.  A furred tail hanging out of a dogwood led to a squirrel eating berries. 

I rescued two skinks, one swimming and one in the skimmer.  While I was swimming, a squirrel came running along the side toward to me.  I wondered what it was carrying and then realized it was a smaller squirrel.  Apparently mama was relocating her baby.  She turned into the vegetation and I didn't see her again so I don't know if there were other babies.  My guess was that her nest fell down.   

All three garden spiders were accounted for.  A blue-green bee moved too fast for me to photograph, especially in the shade  Other bees and wasps ignored the spider in the mountain mint.   There was less variety than a month ago but the great golden digger wasps and great black wasps were plentiful, along with threadwaisted and potter wasps.  Just when i thought the sidewalk tiger beetles were gone for the year, one landed in front of me. The little pink moth flitted around the mint. 

The moon was past crescent but not quite first quarter.  It had a slight reddish cast tonight. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment