Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Fishing birds

It wasn't quite as cold but the creek was iced over anyway.  Of course it soon melted.  I saw bluebirds in every direction.  Warblers weren't hard to find either.  And house finches were constantly at the seed feeder.  A brown thrasher visited but I didn't get a picture.  A house finch, a sparrow, and a dove drank from the pool cover. 

An osprey circled and landed in a pine across the creek, unfortunately at a bad angle with a window screen in the way.  Then another arrived and startled the first.  I don't know if they were rivals or courting and I got nothing with the camera.  But then a kingfisher landed on the dock bench with his lunch.  He whacked it repeatedly on the wood.  I assume that was to keep the fish from struggling while he positioned it for a head first dive down his throat.  Maybe it tenderized the fish to.  

Gulls patrolled the creek along with pelicans.  I saw one ring bill paddling on the water.  There were cormorants, naturally.  I caught one taking off like a cartoon bat.  Toward evening, at low tide a great blue heron stood in about a foot of water, just waiting.  It was right below my window and I hadn't turned a light on.  Below the dam an egret did the same.  Mallards circled around the heron.  



No comments:

Post a Comment