Saturday, February 19, 2022

#GBBC again

The sun was bright and the creek polished at breakfast.  While I counted morning birds, I didn't get any pictures of them.  I saw a pileated and a downy woodpecker, a blue jay, a junco, a mockingbird, a myrtle warbler, a bluebird, and a great blue heron.  Then I missed the best morning hours for birds.

At lunch, the female pileated woodpecker visited. Two doves meandered around, along with a white throated sparrow.  Chickadees came one at a time to the seed feeder so I could only count one.  Bluebirds and pine and myrtle warblers competed for the barkbutter and a Carolina wren defied the boss warbler for some suet.  That warbler also went after the chickadee. 

The afternoon got windy again.  In fact, the National Weather Service posted a gale warning mid afternoon.  I had hopes that would encourage birds from the bay to seek the quieter creeks, but no.  All I saw was mallards, geese, cormorants and an egret, even though the tide was out which often attracts the fishing birds.  I did discover two turtles in the late afternoon sunshine on the lake. 



No comments:

Post a Comment