Wednesday, September 20, 2023

So many juvenile cardinals

At breakfast, I saw an egret fishing along the bulkhead across the creek.  The stately bird did not make a ripple in the reflection on the creek surface.  When I turned to come back inside, I noticed a Polistes wasp exploring the chair arm.  

The semi-bald blue jay dined on barkbutter balls.  A white breasted nuthatch wanted sunflower seeds.  A Carolina wren took a turn at the barkbutter balls.  Titmice and chickadees were busy at the seed feeder.  At lease six juvenile cardinals descended on the area around the seed feeder.  Then the wretched tux cat showed up.  Once the cat was gone, a pine warbler made a brief visit but I guess I was too close for comfort.  Cardinals and nuthatches came back. 

A skipper posed on a morning glory leaf while a black swallowtail investigated the rue.  Bumblebees nectared on the mountain mint.  I found two young caterpillars on the butterfly milkweed.  My pool rescues consisted of a green June beetle and three black ground beetles.  No skinks and no sign of a frog.  But the sky clouded over and looked threatening.  After I got out, the sun returned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment