Monday, September 11, 2023

Streaming chickadees

The day was very humid and there was a shower but there was also sunshine.  A black swallowtail wanted some nectar.  A cardinal fledgling took over the seed feeder.  Mama watched from the shepherd's crook.  His beak was definitely getting more orange.  A mallard pair rested on the dock, later joined by more pairs.  A blue dasher dragonfly used one of the perches.  A couple of turtles basked on the lake log. 

Some kind of soaring bird made circles in the sky.  i thought it was an osprey but now I'm not sure.  Comparing pictures leads me to conclude it was an immature eagle. 

I played tag with the frog but got out when the sky looked like another shower was approaching.  The frog tucked itself onto the twig I has put out for insects to rescue themselves.

As I dripped off afterword, chickadees queued for a turn at the seed feeder.  Both brown headed and white breasted nuthatches wanted seeds enough that my presence didn't keep them away.  But cardinals and house finches were too wary and very frustrated.  The hummingbirds were preoccupied with their battles and ignored me.  Blue jays were focused on barkbutter balls.  A pine warbler was too wary to perch and eat.  It hung out in the wild cherry with a brown thrasher. 

A pale bird, almost all white with a gray tail, lurked among the cherry twigs.  A chickadee ate wild cherries despite them being old and withered.  A downy woodpecker hunted in the oak.  After I went inside, the pine warbler finally got fed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment