Sunday, September 3, 2023

So many skinks

The sky was cloudless but not such a crystalline blue and the air was much warmer.  The first bird that posed today was the pine warbler, then the goldfinches.  The Carolina wren lost its tail and looked like a little brown ball.  The hummers were still at war. 

The hibiscus flower hung around for a second day.  Dogwood berries were getting red.  Honeybees and thread-waisted wasps were the main pollinators at the mountain mint.  I saw a first instar black swallowtail caterpillar on the side of the pool and moved it to the rue.  There I saw one even smaller, one at the next stage, and one that was about full grown. 

A skink climbed the bricks.  Another climbed the stucco.  I rescued SIX skinks from the pool.  The final one, I took for a ride on my shoulder.  K tried to take a picture, but only its head was in focus.  Several more scurried across the patio, making at least ten, I think. 

As I dripped, both brown headed and white breasted nuthatches made repeat visits to the feeder.  A great blue heron perched atop the post that holds the floating dock from floating away.  The pine warbler came back for supper.  The wren scolded me for sitting too close to the barkbutter balls.  


No comments:

Post a Comment