Monday, June 23, 2014

Back to sunshine

Only the regulars came this morning.  I may have glimpsed a hummer in the lavender, but I'm not sure.  The crepe myrtle is an explosion of purple by the driveway.  A wren hopped around in the plants, never quite showing itself. 

As we were grilling lunch, a mating pair of saddlebags flew over and landed on a dead dogwood twig. there were other dragonflies and small butterflies, but none I saw clearly.  During lunch a young skink skedaddled across the patio.  Then a male towhee went to the feeder - I'm speculating it's a juvenile.

When I came home around 4pm, I saw a male towhee in the azalea out front and a smaller one on the ground.  The one in the azalea appeared to call the other one in. 

Later, nearly 8pm but still daylight, three titmice came to the feeder.  A cardinal arrived and booted a titmouse who flew up to the feeder hanger and booted a chickadee.  Birds do have feelings.  Meanwhile, the smaller towhee was scratching in the mulch below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment