Friday, June 6, 2014

Cool, clear and bright

The cold front has passed.  It's breezy and, while plenty of wasps were out, I didn't see any dragonflies.  I shooed off a goose that was checking on the pool.  The wrens continue to bustle and sing.  A hummer visited and gave me a good looking over.  It seemed displeased with the juice, so we took the feeder down to clean.  A white breasted nuthatch kept trying to have a turn at the seed feeder, despite the regular birds. 

I identified this spider as a Venusta Orchard Spider. A skink crossed the patio in the late morning.  And I finally saw adregonfly and a cabbage butterfly.  At noon, the fox passed by, ignoring me although I was sitting outside.  Tufted titmice came to the feeder.  And osprey caught fish. 

My only pool rescue today was a honeybee.  K saved a spider,  In the evening, a female towhee foraged under the feeder.  It looked like it was losing tail feathers.  A hummer stopped in around 8pm  and looked all over for the feeder which was inside, drying.  At least it's clear that the hummer is a returning customer. 

Smoky cumulus drifted East above the pines while swifts scoured the sky for bugs.  The setting sun tinted the clouds peach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment