Friday, June 2, 2017

Classic June day

I woke up early and went outside.  The sky was covered with cirrus strands like hair and a light breeze brought flower scents.  A bumblebee worked on the lavender.  Crows flew over and a wren sang.  My mother would have recited this while I muttered that a day in February was more rare.

On my way back from the doctor, I stopped at the plant nursery and bought a dwarf day lily with a dark reddish-brownish flower.  When I got home, butterflies were enjoying the lavender. I saw a silver spotted skipper and a duskywing.  A tiger swallowtail and a cabbage white fluttered, apparently aimlessly, but too confusingly for me to get the camera focused.  A snowy egret watched the water flowing from the dam. 

I sat outside in the middle f the afternoon and a squirrel came up to me and walked between my feet.  I actually felt the fur!  And the squirrel was not chasing or being chased, but just walking around.  I didn't move while he was near me but I got a photo as he walked away. 

The brown thrasher was back in the oak working through his repertoire.  I also hear a wren, chickadees, and a cardinal.  A hummer turned up her beak at the feeder so we brought it in to clean.  (While I was out running errands, I saw a man waiting in front of the library with earbuds in his ears, oblivious to the mockingbird beside him singing.) 

I watched a spider walk on its reflection in the water. When I hauled the skimmer basket out to empty it, it was stuffed full of frog.  The frog had a struggle to extricate itself.  Then, of course, it dived right back into the pool.  I followed it around till it finally jumped out under the cedar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment