Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Donner und Blitzen & downpour

A hummer showed up after breakfast.  So did several titmice.  The titmice and chickadees tried to drink from the small well in the center of the hummer feeder.  Apparently the water in the big ant moat above was out of reach.  Three squirrels disputed over who got to hunt seeds under the feeder.  A blue jay and a female bluebird visited the mealworms. 

I worked outside in the morning because a thunderstorm was predicted for the afternoon.  Dragonflies were thick, mostly blue dashers.  I did see one small, brownish butterfly, probably a snout.  The pool skimmer caught a mama wolf spider.  And just as I was wondering why I had seen no saddlebags dragonflies yet this year, one appeared.  It perched on the topmost candle of the pine tree. 

I saw a little green heron fly down stream.  Then a yellow crowned night heron came past and swooped down to land upstream of the dock, out of sight.  The next instant it fled back the way it had come with another heron in pursuit,  That bird landed on the dock and paced to relieve its agitation.  The interloper took a station in the dam outfall. 

I left around 6pm to go to a meeting and drove into the storm.  The car thermometer dropped from 92° to 73° in about 5 minutes as I drove.   It rained hard on the highway but not back home.  Fireflies were twinkling when I got back, but the clouds still looked thunderous.  Mimosas and crape myrtle were in full bloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment