Monday, June 12, 2017

More heat

Titmice were up earlier than usual today.  I didn't replenish the food supplies fast enough and didn't the blue jays and hummingbirds let me know.  But they could only stay miffed so long with fresh sugar water and mealworms to be had. Dragonflies were obelisking before noon.  A yellow crowned night heron stalked lunch along the spartina.



The dragonflies were mostly blue dashers but I did see one female pondhawk.  Leaf miners started working on the hibiscus leaves.  I rescued a click beetle, a ground beetle, and a couple of fireflies.  When I picked up a floating oak leaf, the backswimmer darted away.  I fished out a buffalo treehopper but tossed it back to see if the backswimmer would eat it.  A damselfly rode a floating leaf.  Several half eaten mating-size ants lay around the patio.  Wasps searched the rue for the remaining flowers.

An egret and a great blue heron fished in the late afternoon.  I think at least two female hummers have been visiting, one with a dark tummy and one with a white. 


No comments:

Post a Comment