Sunday, June 7, 2020

Buggy

I hustled to get bird brunch ready and they couldn't be bothered to come.  And the few that did were too fast for me.  A night heron and an osprey sailed overhead, not at the same time or even in the same direction.  I saw several skinks but only one paused long enough to be photographed. 

After lunch, a black swallowtail egged the rue and the parsley. A squirrel climbed to the bark butter only to discover it was repellent. A skipper nectared on the lavender.  Wasps quarreled over the parsley. 

The female bluebird looked disapprovingly at the bark butter balls.  The diving blue jay seemed to be getting fed.  The male red bellied woodpecker came several times but spooked easily.  A Carolina wren thought the bark butter balls were good enough.  Then I discovered three Carolina wrens flitting around the front patio.

The male downy woodpecker came back for bark butter crumbles. It had the normal amount of red on its head.  I think it must have raised its feathers to expose more red yesterday.  I thought I saw a house wren there as well but it was gone as soon as I noticed it. 

Dragonflies patrolled the treetops while I got bitten on the ground.  And the bullfrog was too busy calling to catch bugs.  I tried to triangulate by ear on the frog and it seemed to be somewhere under the rue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment