Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Woodpeckers

I was snipping off dead roses when this little woodpecker moved right into the feeder dish, less than six feet away. The top of its head is still red so there go several theories.  All the markings say downy, but that red cap doesn't fit.

At lunch a red bellied woodpecker tackled the other feeder.  K mistook it for a pileated.  And like magic, shortly thereafter, three pileated woodpeckers showed up!  I think at least one must have been a fledgling, maybe all three.  They weren't close enough together to get more than one in a picture, but I know what I saw.

A hummingbird preened on a dead branch but I never saw it near the feeder. The male red bellied woodpecker sunbathed on a broad oak limb. Bluebirds stopped in for a snack. 

A couple of blue dashers perched and one let me get a photo.  I found a large orb web with its resident Venusta orchard spider in the front yard.  Leucauge venusta. There were daylilies and Asiatic lilies to photograph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment