Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Windy

I didn't see anything at breakfast.  When I got to PT I saw a strange fungus had erupted in the mulch.  The little camera I keep in the car was good enough to show how it looked.

After lunch, as I was backing the car down the driveway I noticed the male bluebird hanging around the nest box.  I had the good camera along, so I wore out the battery.  The bird seemed aware but not too concerned about my presence.  Toward evening I noticed bluebirds hanging out on the chimney and the bathroom vent pipe. 

When I got out of the pool, I spied a male widow skimmer on one of my perches.  It was very windy and the dragonfly was barely hanging on.  The wind had filled the pool with tree detritus but the wildlife apparently had enough sense to avoid being blown into the water.  Except for spiders.  I rescued a mama but another spider came running across the water at me, triggering my arachnophobia. 

Passing clouds created sunbeams and shadows.  A couple of egrets flew over and a night heron landed in the oak but it didn't stay. 

In the evening, two hummers came to the feeder but one scared the other away and kept on feeding instead of giving chase.  Wrens, blue jays, chickadees, and the oddly colored downy woodpecker all went for bark butter balls.  There were fireflies again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment