Saturday, June 13, 2020

Temperate

Sunny, breezy, warm in the sun and cool in the shade, with blue jays everywhere.  At lunchtime I saw seven basking turtles on the lake and a big flock of geese in the yard that lies between the lake and the creek.  Lots of blue dashers suddenly appeared but they were all females. 

After lunch I was finishing the newspaper and my eye was caught by motion outside.  One skink was chasing another around the lower patio and it chased the other right over the edge of the pool.  I hustled down there and fished the victim out.  By then the aggressor had disappeared. 

I think two hummingbirds came to the feeder but it's hard to be sure unless they arrive at the same time.  A tiger swallowtail laid eggs on the wild cherry and a cabbage white spent time on the cinquefoil.  I rescued a tan scarab beetle from the water but now I suspect it was an invasive oriental beetle.  Bees and wasps were plentiful. 

I saw bluebirds and wrens but didn't get pictures.  The male red bellied woodpecker was in his happy place, sunning and preening, and a crow rudely took over.  Eventually the woodpecker got his spot back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment