Monday, June 29, 2020

Extreme UV

A hummer got up early and breakfasted with us.  At lunch, the Carolina saddlebags was back on its treetop perch.  By 5pm it was joined in the air by 12-spotted skimmers. I went out to swim during the fiercest sun in the afternoon and I may have overdone it.  I didn't bring the camera because of the sun, so naturally I saw interesting wildlife.  A minuscule green katydid (or something similar) sat on the edge of the steps.  Spiders ran around on the water, none with babies.   

Fresh growth was visible at the top of the oak.  A branch of the chaste tree drooped with the weight of blossoms and bumblebees.  A mockingbird checked to see of the wild cherries were ripe. 

Skinks enjoyed the heat and none went for a swim.  A tiger swallowtail liked the mountain mint.  So did a great golden digger wasp.  To my disgust, I discovered that Japanese beetles were using the hibiscus as a singles bar.  I gunked 'em good with neem oil. 

In the late afternoon while I was attempting to photograph dragonflies on the wing, two swallows, or one twice, zipped past me at roof height.  I'm not used to them flying so low.  Twilight glowed rose without clouds.  Fireflies went off like silent fireworks over the grass.  Crows and herons flew home.  I believe I heard a tentative cicada.  The waxing gibbous moon was sharply detailed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment