Saturday, November 7, 2020

Blue sky

The fog was back at breakfast. I missed shots at a brown thrasher and a blue jay that came for bark butter balls.  A titmouse and the red breasted nuthatch preferred sunflower seeds.  A couple of crows appeared to be very close friends but I don't think they were mating.  Dew-dotted spiderwebs festooned the rose but I didn't see them till I looked at the photos.  The feral cat prowled across the yard.  

By 10am the fog was gone.  The cloudless blue sky healed immediately when scratched by a passing jet.   A downy woodpecker went to work on the suet.  The nuthatch came back and posed very nicely.  

Lots of birds flew over, but aside from gulls and cormorants I'm not sure what they were.  The warmth of the last few days persuaded the canna to bloom, though I think its usual pollinators have left.  Two peppers are just about ready to pick.  I hope the green ones survive the transition indoors.  The slime mold fungus had grown and taken an imprint from a fallen leaf.  As an experiment, I gave it a bit of parsley to see if fresh greens would appeal.  

The late afternoon sun lit up the trees that were turning color.  The wind had been pruning the colored leaves so the trees seemed to stay green.  The last two days were relatively still so leaves didn't come down immediately. 






No comments:

Post a Comment