Thursday, November 26, 2020

Yellow bellied sapsucker

A rain squall hit as we were getting up and I think there had been more rain earlier. The 99% humidity dropped as the temperature climbed.  They met somewhere around 70.  A brown thrasher hit the bark butter balls several times but was always too fast for me. So were a blue jay and a Carolina wren.  Titmice were more cooperative but I have all the titmice photos I ever want.  Both cats wandered through, the feral black-and-white and the tabby with a blue collar. 

As we were finishing Thanksgiving dinner (Mole Con Pavo), a heron landed on the dock and a kingfisher zipped past.  Then the red breasted nuthatch rewarded my patience. It didn't even flinch when a squirrel got on top of the feeder.  Downy woodpeckers went at the suet, of course.  

Finally the clouds broke apart and a half dozen turtles bunched up to sun themselves.  Then I spotted the sapsucker on a pine tree and I ran the battery down taking pictures of it.  When the sun came out, I went outside though it still seemed quite damp.  I wandered around taking pictures of sunlit leaves. A slug was chomping into the fungus.  

But I heard something scolding sotto voce so I came inside to let it appear.  It was a red bellied woodpecker, making the third woodpecker species in one day.  





No comments:

Post a Comment