Monday, November 23, 2020

Great blue heron

Something caused a downy woodpecker to freeze on the post for a while.  I found a slug on the bark butter ball feeder.  Then there was a moment of drama: a great blue heron swooped down on another that was standing on the bulkhead and shoved the other bird into the creek.  The victor proceeded to do a heron war dance above while the vanquished hiked upstream below the bulkhead.  I wasn't fast enough to catch the confrontation, but I did get photos of the territorial display. 

At lunch, I saw the pied bill grebe again.  Afterward, titmice and a red breasted nuthatch joined chickadees and house finches on the sunflower feeder.  A Carolina wren took a bark butter ball.  But focus was not my friend.  I spotted a turtle on the lake, not on the preferred log because that was occupied by a goose.  The lake water was rushing to the dam though the creek was fairly placid.  Maybe that was because of the overnight rain?  Toward evening I saw a few hoodies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment