Wednesday, November 4, 2020

White throated sparrow arrived

The sky was again a glorious, cloudless blue.  While running an errand, I saw a couple of crows harassing a hawk very high up.  Below them two turkey vultures circled.  Of course I had no way to photograph them.  After I got home, a couple of blue jays had a quarrel but flew off too fast for me.   A pine warbler discovered the suet.  The nuthatch came back briefly.  

Then the white throated sparrow showed up.  It went stiff by the birdbath.  I wonder if that was because of a small hawk that swooped past me later.  This is the season for hawks to migrate as well as songbirds.  I got a corner of the eye glimpse of a brown thrasher on the bark butter ball feeder. 

I almost stepped on two little glass snails in the sun on the patio.  A field cricket hopped across the pool cover.  Then I noticed a wasp wrestling what I think was a tree cricket, presumably nourishment for an egg.  A bit higher in the dogwood a leaf footed bug was motionless.  Lots of little moths were active in the sunlight.  I saw a cloudless sulphur in the neighbor's sweet gum.  Honeybees worked on the sasanqua flowers.  The groundsel bushes began to release their fluff.  

As we ate supper after dark (having reverted to standard time Sunday), a raccoon joined us.  It snuffled around under the sunflower seed feeder but did not attempt a break in.  The inside lights on the glass defeated the camera.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment