Monday, April 5, 2021

Insects!

Today was much like yesterday though I wasn't outside as long.  I saw actual dragonflies zipping over the puddle on the pool cover.  Of course that means they were seeing mosquitoes.  In fact, I caught a slow one trying to get a meal on my arm.  I saw a cabbage white and a yellow swallowtail when my hands were full.  An earwig crossed my path paying me no attention.  A big bumblebee circled me slowly but I still never got a photo.  It disappeared under leaf litter.

And an insect landed on a narcissus flower but paid no attention to nectar or pollen.  I think it was lurking to ambush some other bug.  At first I thought it was a lacewing but the body was humped like a robber fly and it had feathery antennae like a midge. 

Pelicans were back in the morning, fishing successfully.  So was the egret, though it caught many small fish instead of the frying pan size the pelicans eat.  

A brown thrasher and a mockingbird begrudged my resting beside the barkbutter balls.  The mockingbird defaulted to suet.  The brown thrasher flew away.  Warblers were around but on the whole, I did not see many birds. Maybe they were busy catching insects. 


No comments:

Post a Comment