Saturday, April 10, 2021

Lots of birds

Leaves were wet.  Another hummer showed up, silhouetted against the sky, before I got the fresh feeder hung.  A pair of goldfinches visited briefly.  The male was just beginning to have a shadow where his black cap will be. 

Then the pileated woodpecker appeared.   It's strange that she seems to prefer the suet cage nearly empty. 

Pollen made streaks on the water.  I spotted a kingfisher way upstream and an egret downstream.  A cardinal gleaned nest material at the edge of the water.  A little chipping sparrow came hopping across the patio, then flew before I was ready.  

A dark butterfly, maybe two, and one or more cabbage whites flitted around.  Bumblebees congregated around the redbud flowers.  Gnats congregated above me for their mating dance. 

I rearranged feeders but blue jays and red bellied woodpeckers had no difficulty finding what they wanted.  A brown headed nuthatch visited several times and I missed every time.  A white throated sparrow hunted through the grass.  A brown thrasher sat on a dogwood limb and inflated itself, then began to preen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment