Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Summery

The sun warmed the air under a bright blue sky but a strong breeze kept it from feeling hot.  The pileated woodpecker tried her best to get nourishment from the empty suet cage so I rushed to put out a fresh block but she didn't come back.   When I watched her pecking at the empty feeder I wondered if hammering addled her brain.  

Lots of butterflies enjoyed the warmth - I saw a tiger swallowtail a cloudless sulphur, a cabbage white, and something small that I suspect was a snout.  Skinks bustled about practically under foot.  A little one dodged under the pool cover then came flying back out with a big one warning it off. Another ventured out on top of the cover but wisely panicked and ran back. 

Blue jays kept watching me in hopes that I would leave ant let them eat in peace.  Cardinals, brown thrashers, chickadees,and bluebirds all expected to be fed too.  The azaleas were glorious but the dogwoods were nearly finished.





No comments:

Post a Comment