Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Sweaty

It was still hot, but more hazy.  The male red bellied woodpecker came to breakfast.  Then a blue jay has some suet.  Around mid day a couple of proud parent geese brought their goslings to eat our grass and defecate all over.  I went outside to discourage this and spotted a green caterpillar dangling on 20 feet of silk under the hackberry.  Even though it was catching the sun, I could not get it in focus.  It was climbing fast too.

The brown thrashers were very busy all afternoon.  A gusty wind tempered the heat, but still I sweated.  Irises flowered while the azaleas wilted and the money plant made seeds.  Dogwood flowers were becoming berries.  Blue eyed grass began blooming.  So did the Solomon's seal.  There were flowers on the rue but the insects hadn't found them yet.  Rose buds were still tight.  

Cabbage whites hunted nectar and I also saw a large dark butterfly I suspect was a palamedes swallowtail. A hummingbird hovered over the feeder, then flew off.  Was it me or had the juice gone bad?  A bluebird was bolder or hungrier.  There were only two turtles on the basking log.  





No comments:

Post a Comment