Sunday, September 4, 2022

Frogs and skink

The Carolina wren looked moth-eaten as it poked through barkbutter crumbs.   A bald blue jay was disappointed there weren't fresh barkbutter balls on offer.  So was the female red bellied woodpecker.  A white breasted nuthatch ate some sunflower seeds.  Later a brown headed nuthatch had the same idea.  Hummers eventually arrived. 

A fiery skipper joined a bumblebee on the mountain mint.  The conk fungus under the oak looked like fresh-baked buns.  It's interesting that, unlike mushrooms, the conk didn't wait for rain.  

A great blue heron took over the dock.  I cleared the pool of three dead skinks and one very lively lizard.  Although, when I finally caught it, it didn't want to leave my hand.  Then I chased down two frogs, one a green frog and the other very persistent amphibian a southern cricket frog I think.  It kept trying to get back into the water so I had to catch it repeatedly.  At one point, it tried to hide in my swimsuit top!  I also rescued what I thought was a wasp but when dried out turned into a leatherwing beetle.  Probably the yellow banded abdomen is Batesian mimicry of a wasp.

I took some late afternoon photos of the moon to make up for yesterday.  The craters were sharply defined along the terminator.  


No comments:

Post a Comment