Sunday, September 18, 2022

Oriole!

In the early morning when the sunlight was still slanting, a brown headed nuthatch was frustrated by the steady stream of chickadees and titmice.  Several crows visited, but only one was agile enough to get to the barkbutter balls.

I saw a female Baltimore oriole so I rushed some jelly outside, but I didn't see it again.   Still, I suspect it was the bird with yellow tail feathers that I saw the other day.  It probably wanted suet but the hummer feeder is still occupying that hook.  And the hummers are still coming. 

A southern purple mint moth finally posed for me.  The markings were right but it was awfully orange instead of purple.  A few thread-waisted wasps searched for nectar on the mountain mint.  Paper wasps seemed to be hunting prey under leaves and ignoring flowers. 

I rescued two skinks but saw no frogs.  One skink was lurking in the entry to the skimmer and scampered right off.  I found the other while swimming in the deep end.  It was still active but tired and  cold, I think.  Anyway, when I put it down, it stayed still for so long that I worried that it had died,  But when I tried to pick it up, it came to life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment