Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Rafting skink

The morning creek was in a reflective mood. The dog seemed to appreciate the cooler air - he wanted to stay outside longer.  Something caught his attention and he dashed over to the oak.  Since it was daytime, I figure it was a squirrel that rejuvenated him.  

I finally got a chance at the pool mid afternoon.  (Afternoons rush past this time of year.)  The first thing I saw was a skink navigating on a yellow leaf.  A cricket, riding a different leaf, may have lured the skink into the water.  By the time I nerved myself for immersion in the chilly water, the skink had disembarked onto the top of the ladder.  But when I got close it dived.  I caught it and put it on the escape stick to dry out.  It stayed put so eventually I encouraged it to climb and it scampered off.  

While dripping off, I emptied the recycled-plastic birdhouse and only snapped off one tab, which I think is fixable.  I was sitting in a small patch of sun by the mountain mint and I saw an insect I didn't recognize.  It appeared to have transparent wings, a bright green thorax, and a skinny up-curled abdomen.  It looked a little smaller than an eastern amberwing and my first thought was a damselfly, but I could not really guess what order of insect it was before it flew away.  And the camera needed a fresh battery, so I don't have an image to search.  Later, during an early supper, a great egret fished along the bulkhead.  


No comments:

Post a Comment