Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Pair of orioles

The temperature barely cleared 70°F despite bright sunshine and a Southwest wind.  That is, the thin clouds were slowly moving Northeast.  I did not try to swim but I did circle the pool to see if anything needed rescue.  Nada.  On my way, I saw a white breasted nuthatch on a tree and heard a woodpecker.  

Blue jays stayed up in the oaks.  The female oriole foraged in the bushes so I only got glimpses.  The male oriole and a mockingbird ate dogwood berries.  The "red" aster was exactly the same magenta as the beautyberries.  Brown headed nuthatches joined titmice and chickadees, and an occasional cardinal, at the seed feeder.  The white breasted nuthatch also made a couple of forays.  A dove wandered around the yard. 

It didn't feel humid and there was a breeze, so why all the mosquitoes?  Big, daytime mosquitoes with white stripes bit me hard when I went over to the fig tree to check on the peppers.  I picked a ripe one and saw three more that were green.  The sunflowers were making seeds. On the way back, I saw a sundog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment