Sunday, July 23, 2023

Dragonfly

I think the Carolina wren was up before I was.  Bluebirds were early risers too.  The pine warbler was not going to be left out.  Goldfinches made sure they still had title to their sunflower.  A brown headed nuthatch was frustrated by the titmice, chickadees, and house finches.  Being  bigger, the white breasted nuthatch had less difficulty getting a share of the seeds.  The house finches had a redness contest.  

After swimming, I saw a male widow skimmer on one of my perches.  He was getting blown around.  I also found a monarch caterpillar munching away on the butterfly milkweed.  Great golden digger wasps twitched around the mountain mint.  Two black mud wasps squabbled in midair.  A gray hairstreak fended off annoying wasps and bees.  Several fiery skippers popped up. 

A great egret occupied one of the dock posts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment