Friday, July 7, 2023

Insects

Two female goldfinches and a male cardinal came for breakfast.  Eventually a male goldfinch showed up.   Even later, a mockingbird checked the food dishes but ignored the suet. 

When I got out of the water, a lovely dragonfly was sitting on one of the stakes.  I think it was a female Needham's skimmer but it was gone when I came back with the camera.  On the mount mint I saw a great golden digger wasp, many honeybees, a few bumblebees, and an assortment of other bees and wasps.  The asters were abuzz too.  I think one was a bee fly.    The orchard spider was still in the web attached to one of the dragonfly perches.  Two saddlebage butterflies patrolled the sky over the pool.  Butterflies were mostly skippers and snouts.  The mydas fly was back. 

Late in the day, I noticed a yellow crowned night heron on a downstream dock.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment