Friday, July 28, 2023

Insects

A white breasted nuthatch showed up after breakfast.  The canna decided to try another blossom.  I found a big swallowtail caterpillar on the gone-to-seed parsley, but no sign of the monarch caterpillar, so I hope there is a chrysalis somewhere.  I blew another shot at a great golden digger wasp.  In addition to all the beetles that I fished out of the water, there was an insect I didn't recognize that looked midway between a beetle and a wasp.  The mountain mint was full of many kinds of bees. 

A four spotted pennant rode the topmost twig of the wild cherry.  Something denuded all the highest branches on the wild cherry.  I suspect tiger swallowtail caterpillars.  I saw an orange fritillary butterfly that appeared to be laying eggs on violet leaves.  A black butterfly showed no interest in either parsley or rue so I wondered if it was a dark tiger swallowtail or a red spotted purple.  A fiery skipper popped around the mountain mint. 

Toward evening, a green heron landed on a post in the creek.  It didn't stay long, but I was grateful to have seen it.  Great egrets were also in flight.  It had been a very hot day and was still in the 90s at supper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment