Sunday, July 9, 2023

Rain at last

The hibiscus exploded with flowers.  A late gladiolus spear blossomed.  Hopeful bluebirds wanted a handout.  I had put out some mealworms and the male scattered them everywhere.  Hummingbirds found the feeder.  A downy woodpecker inspected a pine tree. 

A glass snail wedged itself into the door frame.  There was a crab in the pool that I'm guessing escaped from a raccoon.  I rescued a robber fly and some other bugs.  A female blue dasher dragonfly paused a moment on the door to munch something it had caught.  Another dragonfly buzzed the pool too fast for me to identify.  A small skink crossed the patio. 

Insects fed like they knew the weather was changing.  I saw the mydas fly, a tiger swallowtail, a cabbage white, and I think a monarch.  Many honeybees and an assortment of other bees and wasps, including leafcutter bees and a great golden digger wasp, made the mountain mint move as though it itched. A small, green bee disappeared before I returned with the camera but then I found an ailanthus moth, Atteva aurea

The first thunderstorm finally arrived around 3pm.  A pine warbler showed up drenched for some suet.  It was followed by a wet Carolina wren.  The storm that came through next brought darkness along with heavy rain and noise.  There was a lull after 7pm, then another storm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment