Saturday, July 8, 2023

First hibiscus

There was one hibiscus flower today and four red buds promising tomorrow.   The sakaki was nearly finished flowering. 

Goldfinches peered into the hummer feeder.  I think they were thirsty.  The hummers were not pleased.  The male appeared as soon as the goldfinches moved away.  I didn't see a female till later. 

A bluebird checked whether I'd put anything in the dish feeders.  I hadn't because of the rain prediction.  A chickadee discovered the seeds in the sunflowers.  A Carolina wren poked around under the feeders.  Two white breasted nuthatches ignored the sunflower in favor of the feeder for seeds.  A pine warbler ate suet. 

On the mountain mint, in addition to dozens of honeybees, there were bumblebees, leaf cutters, carpenter bees and others.  Wasps included a great golden digger wasp and smaller mud and potter wasps.  I pruned some of the mint stalks and discovered leatherwing beetles mating.  I was trying to give the butterfly milkweed more sunlight.  Earlier, I rescued a small robber fly and many beetles including a firefly.  I tried to kill the nasty carnivorous fly that kept flying in my face, but I don't think I succeeded.  Where were the dragonflies when needed?


No comments:

Post a Comment