Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Monarch

A pine warbler was the early bird.  The goldfinches soon followed.  Bluebirds discovered that there was food in the hanging dishes.  Yellow roses came out to join the red hibiscus.  Birds were eating the wild cherries and something was eating the cherry leaves. 

While I was in the water a blue dasher flew right up to my face.   I wonder if I had a bug in my hair?  I carefully fished a woodlouse hunter spider out of the pool but it did not revive.  The mydas fly was back among the honeybees, leafcutter bees, bumblebees, carpenter bees, and sand wasps on the mountain mint.  A monarch butterfly found the aster, but not the milkweed.  A skink crossed the top step.  In the evening a few dragonflies patrolled the air over the patio. 

I saw a great crested flycatcher way up in an oak.  A great blue heron stood on a downstream dock.  While I was sitting beside the hummer feeder, the male visited twice.  I played dead but he still seemed nervous.  So I moved farther away.  Then the female came instead.  neither would stay long enough for me to aim the camera.  At twilight, I think I saw a swallow, but the camera focus was confused and the shutter wouldn't click. 


No comments:

Post a Comment