Sunday, July 30, 2023

Lovely day

The oppressive, sticky heat blew away overnight and it wasn't as windy either.  I rescued an assassin bug and did my best to ignore a large mulch roach that occupied the top step of the pool ladder.  A skipper clung to the side of the pool in the shade.  I saw a dragonfly on one of my perches but got distracted and never came back with the camera.  A black swallowtail flitted through.  A great golden digger wasp browsed the mountain mint.  So did a bumblebee and a little black bee with a furry waist.  An ailanthus moth, Atteva aurea, tried to stay out of the way of wasps.  But the prize of the day was a cicada killer that I finally got in focus! 

A brown thrasher lurked in the sakaki.  Titmice queued up at the feeder.  The bluebirds fed a fledgling.  The two male goldfinches declared a truce and both worked on the sunflower.  The evening sky was lined with ribs of cloud flowing slowly East.  


No comments:

Post a Comment